Monday, September 27, 2010

Share a psalm!

SHARE A PSALM

When words are difficult to find or the pressures of events distract my thoughts I find it helpful to share a Psalm, making the words of the psalmist my own prayer or request and applying them to my own situation. Here are a few examples of where I look for help in the Psalms when I feel,

  • Afraid 3, 91
  • Alone 27
  • Envious 73
  • Like giving up 34, 43
  • Sad 13
  • Weak 40, 121, 142
  • Worried 37
  • Tempted 141
  • Unimportant 139
  • Like praising God 96, 100, 145

PRAYING THE PSALMS

The Book of Psalms is really a book of prayers. From praise and giving thanks, to asking forgiveness, overcoming temptation, dealing with discouragement, facing fear, finding guidance, seeking wisdom or gaining courage. No matter how we feel, in the Psalms we find words to express every human condition and they teach about how God wants us to communicate with him. It’s reassuring to know that the psalmists had the same feelings we do, and weren’t afraid of expressing them to God!


No comments: